Wednesday, July 16, 2014
Hi, my name is Edyna and I’m a shopaholic in recovery
I love shopping. Always have and always will. After an insanely stressful day at work, I can’t wait to push through the glass doors of Dadeland Mall and embrace all the gifts the retail gods have to offer me. For years, my closet and drawers were overflowing with items I wore maybe once or twice, my bank statements read Zara, Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters more than the average person, but damnn it, I looked cute! In the meanwhile, I’d covet my friends Instagram posts as they captured moments on Mexican beaches, on the Empire State Building, eating sushi in Japan, all while telling myself that one day I’d have money to travel the world. And then epiphany struck one dreary afternoon in 2013 when I realized I was cleaning out my closet for the 3rd time that summer. In a frantic, I opened my laptop and logged on to online banking and started scanning my credit card statements and when I did the math, my jaw literally dropped:
Forever 21: $65 +
Zara: $200 +
Urban Outfitters: $32.50
= $297.5
And THAT was just in one month! Three shopping trips in 20 days equated to 1 plane ticket to NYC, Chicago or DC. From that day forth, I stopped shopping.
I made a list of US cities I hadn’t seen, countries I was dying to visit and the general cost for a plane ticket to each one.
To get me through a long work day, rather than scanning Nasty Gal (I love you Sophia Amoruso!), I’d start comparing flights, cruises and Groupon travel packages to keep me focused on my real desire: to travel.
By the end of 2013, what I consider to be my worst financial year, I traveled to Atlanta and New York City for a 9 day trip with my two best friends.
Since the start of 2013, I’ve paid a visit to Key West twice, Orlando, FL countless times and I’m currently getting ready to pack for a 8 day California adventure, where I’ll be visiting Los Angeles, Anaheim and San Diego.
I bet you’re wondering if I ever shop anymore…OF COURSE I DO! Retail therapy is good for the soul! However, I shop smart. I shamelessly shop sales and I’ve been known stalk certain items until they’re finally on discount. If I find something in a store that seems a little overpriced, I whip out my iPhone and I look it up on Amazon, Ebay, and Google Shopping, to make sure it’s not sold cheaper elsewhere. But mostly, I save my shopping for my travels because I rather say I bought a certain item in a different city. It’s just a great conversation started and the item now has a really cool memory attached to it, making it invaluable.
Hope this post brought you little prospective, fellow shopaholics.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment